Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ciara Sotto shows off pole dancing skills in new stage role


STAR CIRCUIT By Ricky L. Calderon
Read Original Article HERE

After doing her theater debut in the musicale "Magsimula Ka," Ciara Sotto takes on the pivotal role of Mimi, in the restaging of the popular rock musical "Rent" (produced by 9 Works Theatrical) at Carlos P. Romulo Theater of RCBC starting Feb. 12, 2011. She alternates with Sheree Bautista for the said plum role.

Ciara is excited with her new theatrical role as this also marks the first time that she's co-starring with Gian Magdangal in a play. She's also making use of her skills as a pole dancer since the role of Mimi (who is an exotic dancer) requires her to dance.

At the presscon held Monday at The Borough (located at the Ortigas Center in Pasig City), Ciara said she learned a lot from doing stage plays, things that she didn't learn when she was still doing TV shows and movies. "I've always wanted to do theater but Tita Mina (del Rosario, the late grand lady of Viva Films) got me to do movies. In theater, I learned so much about discipline. You've got to be ready with your lines and you've got to be on time," said the youngest daughter of Senator Tito Sotto and Ms. Helen Gamboa.

Here are excerpts from the Q&A:

What are the enjoyable and difficult experiences in doing this play?
"In this show, I get to do everything I want all at the same time. Singing while dancing and acting is something I've always wanted to do. Pole dancing and singing at the same time has always been a challenge. And I will have to do all that for this show. I am excited to do it and it's not very easy. But since the pole is my happy place, of course, I'm enjoying it immensely. And what's difficult for me in putting this show together is having to be, feel, and look sexy."

What is your favorite part of the show?
"Pole dancing and singing obviously! The two loves of my life."
"I just hope they have a good time. I hope they enjoy themselves and I hope that they go out of the theatre with a more appreciative outlook in life."

What is the most challenging and exciting part about playing the role of Mimi?
"Having to be sexy and a little slutty! That's both exciting and challenging for me. It's not very easy to be a seductress."

How does this experience compare with previous experiences you've had on stage?
"This play is very modern and unconventional. Liberating and I'd say wild. The theme is for adults. The last play I did (Magsimula Ka) was very Filipino and wholesome... extremes."

How far will you go bold as this role of Mimi calls for it?
"Whatever is appropriate and will make the show better."

"Rent," the 2011 version, will be newer, fresher and bolder in approach. It's under the overall supervision and direction of Robbie Guevarra.

Gian Magdangal reprises his role as Roger Davis, the songwriter, while Sheree (real-life girlfriend of Gian) will reprise her role as Mimi Marquez, the AIDS-afflicted dancer from Cat Scratch Club, alternately with Ciara.
  
Catch RENT on its FINAL WEEKEND RUN!
MARCH 5, 2011 / 3:30PM / Saturday / RCBC

Contact: Onay Sales (0918.536.2116)
Borgy Marzan (0922.888.5344)
Robert Marzan (0922.888.5348)
 
Email: watchplays@yahoo.com
 
To view available seats, click here:

RESERVE NOW AND GET BIG DISCOUNTS
 


No comments:

Post a Comment